• Manage Diagnostic Technical Service Representative in providing technical support to users of responsible product line.
• Support customers with method applications development, design of validation studies, data interpretation, and product troubleshooting.
• Serve as technical spokesperson in support of product line. Present technical aspects of system and applications data to customers and scientific audiences. Participate in activities of trade organizations and scientific associations.
• Coordinate customer technical support and training activities with Sales & Marketing staff.
• Contribute ideas for product improvement and new applications. Coordinate activities with Research & Development staff.
• Conduct investigations of customer complaints regarding quality, tolerances, specifications and delivered conditions of products. Investigation to include working with the Sales & Technical Service Manager, Quality Control Manager and/or Director of Diagnostic Operations in reviewing customer data, QC data on retention samples and communicating with the customer when applicable.
• Assist in advising and consulting with the Sales & Technical Service Manager, Director of Diagnostic Sales, Director of Diagnostic Operations, Quality Control Manager and Production Manager when retentions do not meet product specifications.
• As assigned write up a complaint summary for electronic complaint form that should include analysis of data and status/findings of complaint. Review findings during regular Diagnostic Technical Meetings and/or provides updates to Sales & Technical Service Manager, Director of Diagnostic Sales, Director of Diagnostics Operations, Quality Control and Production Manager as necessary.
• Duties also to include maintaining updated files on all customer complaints related to technical problems.
• Answer and record technical inquiries from staff, customers and industry. Conduct laboratory procedures required to satisfy such inquiries. Follow up with salesperson, Sales & Technical Service Manager or directly with customers regarding findings or additional questions when applicable.
• As assigned, communicate with consultants and co-workers and gather reference materials when assistance is required to answer certain questions.
• Troubleshoot samples with Neogen’s test kits, and /or competitive kits, per customer, sales and other’s request. Assist diagnostic customers with application questions related to the diagnostic product line. Work with the appropriate sales representative to assist the customer with setting up validations/evaluations of Neogen’s kits.
Automated Equipment Support:
• Master the use of the in-house automated analyzers sold and/or supported by the Diagnostic sales group. Be able to create protocols, set-up assay runs, train new customers on how to set-up and use the system(s) and assist in conducting demonstrations on the instrument both in-house, at the customer’s facility and using the on-line presentation program.
• Take lead on setting up instrument installs and demos and establishing customer follow up until the evaluation and/or validation is completed.
• Assist customers with adapting Neogen’s assays to the automated instrument (s) by validation of appropriate sample dilution panels for the customer’s designated drug cutoffs.
• Travel will be required to help support technical and sales efforts for the automated instrument(s).
• Continue education related to competitive automated instruments.
• Take lead for renewing all instrument service contract agreements and setting up renewal agreements.
• Take lead on monitoring instrument’s PM services and monitoring service required on the instruments and updating the instrument service log.
Misc. Technical Service Projects:
• Provide customer service (including order taking) for the drug detection and life science product lines in absence of sales staff or in cases of an advanced technical question.
• As assigned, communicate and train sales force and customer/prospects on new types, specifications and end uses of products. Travel to customer/prospects facility for on-site training as required.
• Communicate with sales force on consistent basis to: (1) monitor customer satisfaction; (2) resolve customer problems and concerns; (3) inform customers of new products/services; and (4) monitor competitive position.
• Document product requests by customers or potential clients. Provide information to the sales force as requested in a timely fashion.
LABORATORY WORK - PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT (30% Time):
• Generate and analyze data from a variety of laboratory techniques and analytic instrumentation.
• Tabulate and graph data, and prepare technical reports for management.
• Conduct product comparisons by running competitive products and/or methods and generating data that can be used as selling tools for the sales department. Consult with Sales & Technical Service Manager or Director of Diagnostic Sales for desired formats.
• Conduct studies on extraction procedures for the test kits and generate support data in order to better answer customer questions as designated by the Sales & Technical Service Manager or Director of Diagnostic Sales.
• Conduct miscellaneous product development projects, working in conjunction with the Sales & Technical Service Manager and Manager of Research & Development.
• As assigned, conduct validation work using human and/or animal samples to support the use of the diagnostic products at the designated sensitivity/cutoff levels using both manual and automated methods. Some of these validations to include work with human biohazard samples. The Hepatitis B vaccination is a requirement for all individuals working with these sample types.
• Miscellaneous projects as assigned by the Sales & Technical Service Manager or Director of Diagnostic Sales.
SALES & MARKETING SUPPORT (15% Time):
• Assist with writing, reviewing, updating or overseeing the production of product inserts, technical bulletins, product information sheets, product manuals, comparison charts/graphs and other technical data sheets for the Diagnostic products. Works with Sales & Technical Service Manager, Director of Diagnostic Sales, Sales, Marketing Manager, Quality Control Manager and Director of Diagnostic Operations to ensure information is in the proper format.
• Assist with proofing of all product literature (catalogues, flyers etc.) and labels produced by the sales and marketing department before going to print.
• Participate in marketing plans and strategies to penetrate new markets and increase growth and profitability in current markets.
• Attend trade shows to support technical service sales efforts and attend industry conferences to learn more about the related industry and markets.
• Assist Sales & Technical Service Manager, Director of Diagnostic Sales and sales staff when developing and conducting market analysis and research projects.
TRAINING (10% Time):
• Train new diagnostic sales, technical service and marketing employees on the history of the products, how the products are produced and how the products work.
• Conduct hands on training with the new sales representatives to ensure they have a clear understanding about how the products work. Review commonly asked questions and their answers. Provide training on how to troubleshoot as well as the procedures for technical service projects.
• Provide ongoing training for existing employees on current technologies and products.
• Works with the R & D staff and Sales & Technical Service Manager to organize and conduct employee training on new products, improved products or changes to existing products.
• Conduct on-site training for customers and potential accounts when required. Overnight travel required.
BUSINESS AND PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT (5% Time):
• Assist in evaluating the new market applications for test kits and equipment.
• Assist in the identification, market evaluation and prioritization of products for development, distribution or OEM to widen product line offering.
• Participate in the Diagnostic Stage Gate process for new diagnostic products.
The following reports and forms are to be completed as established under department procedures:
• Monthly Status Reports
• Customer Complaint Form
• Technical Service Request Form
• Sales/Intercompany Lead Form
• New Product Planning Manuals (Stage Gates)
• Material Requisition Forms
• Call Reports
• Expense Reports
• Misc. reports & projects as directed by the Director of Diagnostic Sales
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• Four-year degree in biology, chemistry, pharmacology, immunology or related field or 2 equivalent years of experience with ELISA diagnostics. Experience in the forensic toxicology field preferred. At least 3 years of in-house or industry related experience is required to hold position. Excellent decision making and troubleshooting skills; very limited assistance required from supervisor.
• Ability to interface with management on appropriateness of potential products and market applications.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret general scientific and laboratory periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures and government regulations. Ability to write correspondence, reports, standard procedures and complete production paperwork. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from mangers, regulatory agents and the general public.
MATHEMATICAL AND COMPUTER SKILLS
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference and fundamentals of scientific analysis such as mean, median, mode, coefficient of variation and standard deviation.
Direct experience with Window-based computers, use of personal computer, keyboard and software packages including: Windows, Microsoft Office, Sigma Plot and CRM. Computer used in 30% of job activities.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Travel: Must have valid driver's license, auto insurance, own vehicle transportation; 15 -25% of time spent on overnight travel. Travel could higher during certain periods.
The physical demand described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Reason for Change:
Revision 001: Updated manager’s title from Forensic Sales and Technical Service Manager to Sales and Technical Service Manager. Added Marketing Manager and team under the Sales and Marketing section.
Rev 002: Change position from Technical Service Rep, Senior to Technical Service Supervisor. Update language in the JD to reflect the difference in responsibility between a senior rep position and supervisor position.
Revision 003: Deleted Lotus from Mathematical and Computer Skills and updated Payroll Code.